Skip to content. Accessibility info.


More than a telephone number, 311 is your direct connection to important municipal services and information. Our 311 Citizen Contact Centres include a call centre, five customer service centres, and a new resource for submitting online service requests. Whether you prefer to phone-in, walk-in, or connect with us on-line, we can help!

Click here for information about our new Call Back feature.

Some of the services we can help you with

  • Animal services & licenses
  • By-law complaints
  • Civic Event information
  • Construction information
  • Customer service information
  • Facility information
  • Garbage collection schedules and services
  • Illegally parked vehicle complaints and inquiries
  • Halifax Transit schedules and services
  • Parking tickets
  • Property tax information
  • Requests concerning parks, playgrounds and sports fields
  • Requests for street and sidewalk maintenance
  • Traffic and street lights; concerns and suggestions
  • HRM Vending information
  • Waste water services
  • Taxi and Limousine Information

Contact us by phone

Call 311 toll-free from anywhere throughout HRM and our friendly and knowledgeable agents can provide you with a wide variety of municipal information and services in over 150 languages using a telephone interpretation service. Existing 3-digit numbers such as 911, 311, 811 and 411 will continue to be 3-digit numbers and won't be affected by the switch to 10 digit dialing.

Hours of operation:

7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily
Closed on Christmas and New Year's Day

11 p.m. to 7 a.m. after-hour urgent service
Requests for Transportation, Municipal Operations, Facilities, Animal Services, Waste Water Services and Illegally Parked Vehicles

Always dial 911 in an emergency. A 911 emergency happens when someone's health, safety or property is threatened and help is needed right away.

New ‘Call Back’ feature for 311

311 now offers an easy, convenient alternative to waiting on hold for the next agent during high call volume periods. The ‘Call Back’ option is available to customers who wait 4 minutes or more to speak to an agent. Follow the prompts to reserve your place in line; hang up, and an agent will contact you directly when you are the next caller. The ‘Call Back’ feature allows you to maintain your place in the call queue without the inconvenience of waiting on hold.

Learn more about 311 telephone service in our Frequently Asked Questions section.

What number do I call?

For municipal government information and services:


Non-emergency municipal government services from anywhere within the HRM boundary.

1 (800) 835-6428

Outside of HRM, but within Nova Scotia dial toll-free.

1 (902) 490-4000 Outside of Nova Scotia for non-emergency municipal government services.
(902) 490-6645

Hearing impaired teletypewriter users (TTY) for non-emergency municipal government services.

(902) 490-5020

Police non-emergency dispatch. To report crimes requiring a police response that are not emergencies, such as noise complaints, break and enters where it's obvious the culprit is no longer present.

(902) 244-7208

RCMP non-emergency dispatch. Incident reporting and general query number.

(902) 490-5016 or on-line

Police Incident Reports & Police General Inquries - To report crimes not in progress such as thefts and property damage. Other police telephone numbers.

For other services: Existing 3-digit numbers such as those below will continue to be 3-digit numbers. 10 digit dialing will not apply.


Emergency. A 911 emergency happens when someone's health, safety or property is threatened and help is needed right away

211 Human, social and health-related Information and referral services
411 Local directory assistance
511 Road conditions information service
611 Telephone repair service
711 Message relay service (MRS) for individuals who are hearing and/or speech impaired
811 Non-urgent health care telephone triage service

Contact us by mail

PO Box 1749
Halifax, NS
B3J 3A5

Please indicate c/o department or staff member.