BE IT RESOLVED that the following be adopted by the Chebucto Community Council as its Rules of
Procedure and that when and if the same are adopted, the Secretary of the Community Council be
instructed to file a certified copy hereof with the Clerk of the Municipal Council.
December 3, 2001
CHEBUCTO COMMUNITY COUNCIL
RULES OF PROCEDURE
1. In this resolution,
(a) "Community Council" means the Chebucto Community Council consisting of the members of the
Halifax Regional Council elected in polling district 15, Fairview-Clayton Park, polling district 16,
Prince's Lodge-Clayton Park West, polling district 17, Purcell's Cove-Armdale and that part of polling
district 18, Spryfield-Herring Cove situated within the boundaries of the former City of Halifax prior to
April 1, 1996.
(b) "Member" means a member of a Community Council.
(c) "Chair" means the Chair of the Community Council.
2. (1) The Community Council shall annually elect a Chair from among its members in accordance
with the requirements of the Municipal Government Act annually in December.
(2) The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the Community Council.
(3) In the absence of the Chair, a Chair shall be appointed from the members present.
3. (1) There shall be ten (10) regular meetings of the Community Council in each year to be held on the
first Monday in each month, except during the months of July and August and except that if the first
Monday shall fall on a holiday, that regular meeting shall not be held. The Community Council may,
by resolution, establish a summer meeting schedule if desired.
(2) At the written request of three members of the Community Council, the Clerk shall call a special
meeting of the Community Council for the purpose and at the time mentioned in the request, on at least
three days' notice.
(3) The Chair, upon the request of two (2) or more members, may cancel a regular meeting of the
Community Council for lack of business or other valid reason.
(4) The meetings shall commence at 7:00 o'clock in the afternoon.
(5) The Community Council shall annually by resolution establish a schedule of meeting sites if desired.
4. A majority of members of the Community Council, including the Chair, shall constitute a quorum.
5. Except as otherwise provided in this resolution, the procedure applicable to meetings of the Council
of the Municipality, including the procedures prescribed by the Procedure of Council Administrative
Order, shall apply mutatis mutandis to meetings of the Community Council, with the exception of the
Order of Proceedings set out in Section 22 thereof and in the stead thereof, the Order of Proceedings of
the Community Council shall be:
a) Call to Order
b) Minutes of the previous meeting
c) Approval of the Order of Business and Approval of Additions and Deletions
d) Business Arising Out of the Minutes
e) Motions of Reconsideration
f) Motions of Rescission
g) Consideration of Deferred Business
h) Public Hearings
i) Correspondence, Petitions and Delegations
l) Added Items
m) Notices of Motion
n) Public Participation
o) Next Meeting Date
6. (1) If necessary, the Secretary of the Community Council may appoint a recording secretary to assist
the Secretary in taking the minutes of each session of the Community Council.
(2) The minutes of each session will be circulated to each Community Council member preceding the
next session at which time the minutes, by resolution, will be approved.
(3) Once approved, the minutes will be available for public distribution.
7. (1) Regular scheduled meetings of the Community Council will include at the end of its agenda the
opportunity for public participation.
(2) During public participation all questions are to be directed through the Chair with the speaker
providing his/her name and address.
8. Public Hearings will be held as required.
REPRESENTATION AND PRESENTATION TO THE COMMUNITY COUNCIL:
9. (1) Interest groups or delegations wishing to make a presentation are required to advise the
Secretary of the Community Council two (2) weeks prior to the date of the meeting at which they
would like to present.
(2) The Community Council will endeavour to hear the presentation on the date the delegation
requested, but, if not possible, at the next regular meeting.
THIS IS TO CERTIFY that the above Rules of Procedure were adopted by motion At a Chebucto
Community Council meeting duly held on the 3rd day of December, 2001.
GIVEN under the hand of the Secretary of
the Chebucto Community Council this _____
day of ___________, 200 .