These standards are influenced by the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative and the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat Standard on the Accessibility, Interoperability and Usability of Web Sites.
These Web Design Standards are currently being integrated into all websites operated and maintained by Halifax Regional Municipality and are continuing to evolve as technology changes.
- Graphics/Photographs - Alternate Text attributes will be used on all graphics with a short intuitive description.
- Text Alternatives will be provided for all time-sensitive media. At minimum a description of the media (audio or video, etc.) will be provided.
- Any uses of CAPTCHA will have text or audio alternatives that identify and describe the purpose of non-text content.
- Multiple browser testing is conducted on current versions of Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox and Safari.
- All external links will open in a new browser window.
Standard Applications/Plugins used on HRM Websites:
- Web & Mobile Browsers - We support current and prior major releases of Internet Explorer, Chrome, FireFox and Safari on a rolling basis. Each time a new version of one of these browsers is released, we begin supporting the update and stop supporting the third-oldest version. Mobile browser support also includes Android and Blackberry.
- Search Engine - Powered by Google
- Adobe Flash - Is used for some files on this site. You may download a free Flash Player from Adobe's website.
- PDF Files -If you see this icon: it is a pdf document and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. Get Acrobat Reader to View PDF files. For tools to help make Adobe PDF files accessible to the visually disabled visit: http://access.adobe.com
- Adobe's PDF Converter - allows you to convert regular PDF files to html. One of the required standards is providing, where applicable, an HTML alternative to PDF file. PDF Converter.
- CAPTCHA - Used to ensure responses to forms are generated by humans.
- Sending E-mail - All e-mail coming in to halifax.ca e-mail addresses is limited to 10 mb per message. If you are sending large attachments, please contact the recipient to arrange alternate delivery.